Friday, December 3, 2010

The sacred meal


Holy Communion was a web, a web of people being stitched together. 
And tomorrow, we would need to be stitched together again.

Communion is not Communion without two or three “gathered in my name” (Matthew 18:20)


The sacred meal is a book that discuss about communion practice in today world, what is the meaning of the communion and its significant in today church. This book also explore the history and practice of communion from early Christian till now. It force us to think what actually communion? Many of us simply get into a routine and didn't give much thought about it. 


As for my personal experience, i still remember vividly i got into a fight with my cousin because i think communion is pagan like tradition. I don't understand the significance of it. My cousin also get irritated at me because I am not someone who easily satisfied with an answer. This book definitely help me understand better. Now, i don't think it is pagan origin and its simply a tradition in a church. ( I am not someone who love to follow tradition, I am mostly a rebel and i need reason to believe) 


This book definitely humbled me and answered my question. Below is the quote from the book that i love.  



Communion is therefore, of necessity, a communal activity. It’s unlike every other Christian practice in that sense. Communion is meant to be done together; it has to be done in community. You can pray alone and fast alone. You can even go on pilgrimage alone. But you can’t take Communion alone. More than any other practice, taking Communion forces us to be with others, to stand with them in a circle or kneel at the altar rail or pass a tray of grape juice and cubes of bread. We are forced to be with strangers and people we don’t like, persons of different colors and those with bad breath or breathing cheap alcohol. (I once served the cup to the last guy in line, who was dressed in rags, and he drained it dry.) It forces “them” to be with “us” and us to be with them. Communion is, more than any other practice, a humbling experience. We are stuck with each other, at that altar, for at least a few minutes.


The writer use easy language to write. It is easily understandable. It is not only about communion but its also about being a Christian. Its relate communion and real life as a Christian beautifully. How we relate the waiting, receiving and partaking of the life of Christian ? Have we given it a thought? Its a beautifully written in 11 chapter and very interesting book. If you feel communion tradition is only a tradition, you got to read this book.


Overall i give this book 5 of 5 star. This book is gratefully received from Thomas Nelson Publisher as part of their booksneeze blogger program. i am not required to write positive review and therefore, the review is 100% opinion of my own.

1 comment:

Sharon Wilfong said...

Thanks for your review. I was wondering whether to get this book and now I know I do. I found your review on Booksneeze. I also review for them. Feel free to visit my blog as well.
http://sharonhenning.blogspot.com
Have a great day!